Wednesday, May 04, 2005

"My boyfriend is in love with you... and I hear the weather will be nice this weekend" ???

So Ariel forwards me a strange email this morning. It was apparently sent to her by mistake, perhaps meant for some other Ariel at Duke. Here's the text (names changed - I don't want to make these people's personal lives public over a misdirected email):
Hi, Ariel... Don't know if you know me, but my name is Elaine, and I am Peter Griffin's ex- girlfriend. I thought that, since you are seeing someone, I would give you the heads up about him breaking up with me because he's decided he's in love with you. I just thought you and your boyfriend/fiance (peter's confused if he's that or not) should know about his intentions. He told me he was going to tell you and ask for an ultimatum...your fiance or peter... be weary though... he gets violent if he doesn't like the outcome...i know. the handprints on my arm are because i won't wait for him to find out if you feel the same way. good luck... hope you have a good week... i hear the weather is actually going to be nice this weekend!
Elaine

The whole thing is interesting, a window into someone's private life. But what I find most intruiging is the last sentence. It just seems so out of place. A reflex of polite small talk. Elaine, I think everyone involved would understand if you skipped it, it would be a pretty awkward friendship. If being curt is ever appropriate, this is the occasion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home