Sunday, May 08, 2005

By my new improved calendar, summer has officially begun.

As everybody knows, summer begins on June 21st, the summer solstice. Duh.

Well I say nuts to that. The longest day of the year is the 1st day of summer, but the 2nd longest (June 20) is in the spring? That doesn't make any sense. The 2nd longest day should also be in the summer. Heck, the 50th longest day should also be in the summer. Shouldn't the longest day of the year be smack dab in the middle of summer?

Everything is half a season off. If the equinoxes and solstices were in the middle of their respective seasons, everything would make a lot more sense. Some might object to my system because on my "first day of Spring", it's still cold. Yes, it's true that temperatures don't follow my plan as perfectly as daylight does. Temperatures tend to lag at least several weeks behind the amount of daylight. But the seasons aren't supposed to reflect temperature anyway. In some places, the temperatures do weird things, like in my former residence of San Mateo, CA. The hottest month there is September.

By my decree, the new seasons shall be as follows:

Summer - May 6th to August 5th
Fall - August 6th to November 5th
Winter - November 6th to February 5th
Spring - February 6th to May 5th

So happy (belated) first day of summer, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home