Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Airport theater

Thank you, Department of Homeland Security.

Thanks to your fine actors' brilliant performances at Philadelphia International Airport the other day, I almost was able to suspend disbelief, and actually feel safer.

Your policy of forcing connecting passengers through security AGAIN made me feel all warm and safe inside. After all, if putting everyone through a metal detector once is safe, then doing it twice, is twice as safe!

And then "recommending" to me to remove my shoes. I made sure to clarify that it wasn't required. When I decided against the recommendation, and kept my shoes on, you practically body-cavity searched me. Absolutely marvelous display of safety-consciousness.

It was brilliant, I tell you. Bravo.

I was starting to think that I was the only one who knew that terrorists really can't be stopped and that all the "security" was just theater to make people feel better. Then today I saw this article that makes me think people are starting to catch on. "Oh my god, to foil their latest plot we'd have to disallow any kind of electronic device in the cabin (down to wristwatches), the same goes for drinks, or medicine." And guess what, then they realize security lines will more than triple in length, and then the security line itself will become a target. Then what?

Hey, now you guys are starting to get it.

There's nothing you can do to stop terrorism.

For every thousand dollars we spend on security, terrorists probably spend just pennies making it obsolete. We can't win this game. Just accept it and stop pouring billions of dollars into this very expensive theater production.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home