Monday, June 06, 2005

Finally got it done


Fixed sunroof!, originally uploaded by weissjeffm.

I fixed my sunroof! Sweeeeeeet. I am excited to have it available now that it's getting hot outside. And I feel a sense of accomplishment, in tackling a problem that's been plaguing me for so long. I am also disappointed in myself for not attempting this sooner.

The switch broke in October of 2003. The sunroof was, as dictated by Murphy's Law, open when it broke. I had to experiment, touching wires together, creating sparks and blowing fuses, just to get it closed before it rained.

It's an aftermarket sunroof, the Honda dealer wouldn't touch it. The only place that would look at it is in downtown Raleigh. Notice I said "look at", not "fix for a reasonable price". So I filed it away in my ever growing folder of "things that need to get done - eventually". Twenty months passed.

With summer finally here, I decided Saturday it would behoove me to fix it myself, if at all possible. Surprisingly, it turned out to be solvable using only my very very rudimentary knowledge of electrical devices. It may shock some of you to know, that despite working with computers constantly, I have no idea how the electronics work. I barely know the difference between a volt and an amp. I just had to determine what combinations of 5 wires opens and closes the sunroof, and that takes me close to the limit of my skills. I managed to blow only three fuses while doing this. Before you laugh, I had purchased fifteen spare fuses in anticipation of this problem. That tells you the level of confidence I had in myself. Then I had to find a three-way switch. Most of these only take 3 wires. Opening and closing the sunroof requires 5. I managed to find a switch that took six wires. I worked out a theory as to what wire ought to go where, and was very much amused when I was correct. You have to realize that every home project I've attempted has involved trial and error at every step. Case in point, the ceiling fan I installed two weeks ago.

Now the only problem is the switch isn't anchored to the roof, it just dangles by the wires. That means I have to use two hands to work it, which limits me to working it while my vehicle is at rest. It's still a vast improvement. I'll probably attach the switch firmly to the roof, in another two years. Oh yeah, and fix the driver's side door lock that's been broken since August 2001.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home